Welcome to the International Forum of Meteorological Societies
News & Announcements
- European Meteorological Society (EMS) Annual Conference in Dublin Ireland
The Irish Meteorological Society (IMS), is the host Society this year, 2017, to the European Meteorological Society (EMS) Annual Conference.
The EMS Annual Meeting: European Conference for Applied Meteorology and Climatology 2017 will be held from 4 to 8 September 2017 at the Helix Conference Centre Dublin, Ireland.
On behalf of the Irish Meteorological Society I would like to bring to your attention the conference information contained in the EMS eNewsletter below. It has very useful links to various parts of the Conference website www.EMS2017.eu
Right now we are in the "call for abstracts" time window which closes on Friday 21 April.
As you are probably aware the conference structure has been updated to include both Applied Meteorology and Applied Climatology. The conference theme reflects this.
Conference theme: Serving Society with better Weather and Climate Information
What is International Forum of Meteorological Societies (IFMS)?
The International Forum of Meteorological Societies (IFMS) is an organization to foster and encourage communication and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the world’s more than sixty meteorological societies.
The IFMS is quite distinct from the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Whereas the WMO is an agency of the United Nations that deals with cooperation between Meteorological Services of various nations, the IFMS is meant to create cooperation between Meteorological Societies of the World.
The IFMS is organized exclusively for scientific, educational and charitable purposes, including, but not limited to:
- To foster, promote, and encourage cooperation, communication, collaboration, and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the meteorological societies of the world.
- To advance the science and profession of meteorology and related sciences worldwide and to assist the development of applications of these subjects for the public welfare and benefit of the peoples of the world.
- To develop international bridges to encourage collaboration among public, private and academic sectors as a well as users.
- To assist in developing and promoting capacity building efforts that produce effective and sustainable service capabilities in developing countries.
- To assist all meteorological societies in developing best practices.
- To assist developing meteorological societies to strengthen themselves.
- To help start new meteorological societies in countries where none exists.
- To facilitate cooperation between meteorological societies worldwide.
- To facilitate the sharing of relevant accreditation information, procedures, guidelines and standards and, to do any and all things permitted for a not-for-profit corporation organized under prevailing laws in the jurisdiction where IFMS is incorporated.
- Assistance to National Meteorological Societies to promote collaboration among the Private/Public/University/NGO sector social civil organizations
- Assistance to Private Sector companies to facilitate international outreach especially to build infrastructure in developing countries.