Latin American and Iberian Federation of Meteorological Societies
Purpose and Objective
The federation envisions integrity and solidarity, sustained in the convincement that networking is a strength to the organizations that join the FLISMET and support it.
- To support and foster the spirit of union among the Societies.
- To develop conferences, seminars, meetings and courses concerning Meteorology and Environment.
- To develop relationships among similar entities.
- To support members’ initiatives to contribute to scientific, technical and intellectual improvement.
- To advocate for Professionals in Meteorology and their activities.
- To watch for teaching and training freedom in the field of Meteorology.
- To provide advice in the Meteorological field through its members to Governmental and International Institutions.
- To foster the creation of National Meteorological Societies and their membership to the Federation.
- To encourage environmental preservation.
- To look for funding to support our activities
Country or Region: Latin America & the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal)
Established Since: 1986
Number of Members: Number of Members: 12 (see below)
Current President: Mr. Romulo da Silveira Paz, President Pro Tempore
Other Society Information:
In 1986, the CAM, SBMET and OMMAC founded the Latin American Federation of Meteorological Societies. In 1992, the SOMETCUBA and the AME joined the federation, and after approval of its statutes the federation became the Latin American and Iberian Federation of Meteorological Societies (FLISMET).
The highest authority of the entity in charge of the Executive Committee of the Federation shall be its President, elected every two years. The maximum and governing body of the Federation is the General Assembly of the Council of Representatives.
Members: 12 (twelve)
- Argentina: Centro Argentino de Meteorólogos (CAM)’’
- Brazil: ‘’Sociedade Brasileira de Meteorología (SBMET)’’
- Bolivia: ‘’Sociedad Meteorológica de Santa Cruz’’
- Colombia: ‘’Sociedad Colombiana de Meteorología (SOCOLMET)’’
- Cuba: ‘’Sociedad Meteorológica de Cuba (SOMETCUBA)’’
- Chile: ‘’Colegio de Meteorólogos de Chile A.G.’’
- Ecuador: ‘’Asociación de Meteorólogos del Ecuador (ASOMET)’’
- Spain: ‘’Asociación Meteorológica Española (AME)’’
- Mexico: ‘’Organización Mexicana de Meteorólogos A.C. (OMMAC)’’
- Peru: ‘’Sociedad Meteorológica de Perú (SOMET-PERU)’’
- Portugal: ‘’Asociação Portuguesa de Meteorologia e Geofísica (APMG)’’
- Uruguay: ‘’Sociedad Amigos del Viento (AdelV)’’