Welcome to the International Forum of Meteorological Societies
News & Announcements
- New Reports
- Future Meetings
Future meetings are uncertain due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
EMS Annual Meeting 2020: 07-11 September 2020, University of Economics, Bratislava
Meteorology Technology Exhibition: September 22, 23, 24, 2020
Hall 7.1, Paris Expo Porte de Versailles, Paris, France
IFMS welcomes Brazilian Meteorological Society (SBMET) which became IFMS member in January, 2020.
We urge existing Meteorological Societies of other countries which are not IFMS Members yet, to become members of IFMS and enjoy the benefits of being a member of your fraternity.
If your country does not have a Meteorological Society, we strongly recommend your National Meteorological Society to create one. We will fully Guide you how to achieve it.
AMS Celebrated its Centennial of existence and plan for the next century with an interesting mix of Science and funfair. A tribute by Dr. Harinder Ahluwalia, IFMS President, to AMS is available on this link.
IFMS completed its Global Meeting #6 concurrently with AMS’ Centennial Celebration in Boston, Massachusetts, USA on January 14 and 16, 2020. It featured presentations by Prof. Petteri Taalas, WMO Secretary General, Dr. Louis Uccellini, the Director of the National Weather Service, USA, Dr. Vladimir Tsirkunov, the Team Leader of GFDRR's Weather and Climate Information for Decision Support (WCIDS) Program, Dr. Mary Glackin, President of AMS, Dr. Michael Farrar incoming President of AMS, Dr. Bob Riddaway, President EMS and the IFMS Council members. Dr. Timothy Spangler spoke about WMOs Global Campus and Dr. Walter Dabberdt about AMS Volunteer force Initiative. See the Summary Report of this meeting #6.
The International Forum of Meteorological Societies (IFMS) is an organization to foster and encourage communication and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the world’s more than sixty meteorological societies.
The IFMS is quite distinct from the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Whereas the WMO is an agency of the United Nations that deals with cooperation between Meteorological Services of various nations, the IFMS is meant to create cooperation between Meteorological Societies of the World. The Summary of the IFMS Value Proposition is provide in this link.
The IFMS is organized exclusively for scientific, educational and charitable purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Foster, promote, and encourage cooperation, communication, collaboration, and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the Meteorological Societies of the world.
- Advance the science and profession of meteorology and related sciences worldwide and to assist the development of applications of these subjects for the public welfare and benefit of the peoples of the world.
- Develop international bridges to encourage collaboration among public, private and academic sectors as a well as users.
- Assist in developing and promoting capacity building efforts that produce effective and sustainable service capabilities in developing countries.
- Assist all meteorological societies in developing best practices.
- Assist developing meteorological societies to strengthen themselves.
- Help start new meteorological societies in countries where none exists.
- Facilitate cooperation between meteorological societies worldwide.
- Facilitate the sharing of relevant accreditation information, procedures, guidelines and standards and, to do any and all things permitted for a not-for-profit corporation organized under prevailing laws in the jurisdiction where IFMS is incorporated.
- Assist National Meteorological Societies to promote collaboration among the Private/Public/University/ NGO sector social civil organizations
- Assist Private Sector companies to facilitate international outreach, specially to build infrastructure in developing countries.