Welcome to the International Forum of Meteorological Societies
News & Announcements
- WMO-WBG Working Towards Strengthening Global Weather Enterprise (GWE) to Benefit the Society at Large
- New Reports
IFMS newsletter vol.1-1
WWOSC 2014 Report Special Joint Panel on the Future of the Weather Enterprise
WWOSC 2014 Panel Speeches, Q&A, and Transcripts
Report on GDFRR–GWE Meeting, 28 November 2017
Report on the GWE Seminar 2017
GWE-Collaboration Impediments Potential Solutions
- Future Meetings
52nd Annual CMOS Congress, June 10-14, 2018 in Halifax, Canada
The 10th International Conference on Urban Climate (ICUC-10), August 6-10, 2018 in New York City, USA
EMS Annual Meeting, September 3-7, in 2018, Budapest, Hungary
XIII Argentine Conference on Meteorology (CONGREMET XIII), October 2018, Rosario City, Argentina
The International Forum of Meteorological Societies (IFMS) is an organization to foster and encourage communication and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the world’s more than sixty meteorological societies.
The IFMS is quite distinct from the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Whereas the WMO is an agency of the United Nations that deals with cooperation between Meteorological Services of various nations, the IFMS is meant to create cooperation between Meteorological Societies of the World.
The IFMS is organized exclusively for scientific, educational and charitable purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Foster, promote, and encourage cooperation, communication, collaboration, and exchange of knowledge, ideas and resources among the meteorological societies of the world.
- Advance the science and profession of meteorology and related sciences worldwide and to assist the development of applications of these subjects for the public welfare and benefit of the peoples of the world.
- Develop international bridges to encourage collaboration among public, private and academic sectors as a well as users.
- Assist in developing and promoting capacity building efforts that produce effective and sustainable service capabilities in developing countries.
- Assist all meteorological societies in developing best practices.
- Assist developing meteorological societies to strengthen themselves.
- Help start new meteorological societies in countries where none exists.
- Facilitate cooperation between meteorological societies worldwide.
- Facilitate the sharing of relevant accreditation information, procedures, guidelines and standards and, to do any and all things permitted for a not-for-profit corporation organized under prevailing laws in the jurisdiction where IFMS is incorporated.
- Assist National Meteorological Societies to promote collaboration among the Private/Public/University/ NGO sector social civil organizations
- Assist Private Sector companies to facilitate international outreach especially to build infrastructure in developing countries.