International Association of Broadcast Meteorology
Purpose and Objective
- To represent the worldwide broadcast meteorology community
- To collaboratively work with WMO through our Observer Status, and with other appropriate organisations including SMF/FIM, AMS, EMS and NMHSs, to support and promote the profession of Broadcast Meteorology
- To support and encourage members in the improved delivery of weather and climate services to the public, especially those from developing countries
- To promote, encourage and organise conferences and other opportunities for members to network and engage in Continuing Professional Development
- To actively encourage members to maintain the highest professional standards through promoting appropriate initiatives and mechanisms
- To encourage members to contribute to disaster risk reduction through the provision of timely and accurate weather forecasts and warnings to the public
- To actively support and develop regional sub-groups to enhance the focus on national and regional weather broadcast issues.
Country or Region: worldwide, but registered in Ireland, as a company limited by guarantee, with the Companies Office, Dublin.
Established Since: 1994
Number of Members: around 200 members, but as most of them are working in the media-business we have the capacity to reach, through our members, many millions of people around the world. IABM also has a significant database of weather-presenters around the world who broadcast on Twitter.
Other Society Information:
The IABM has observer status with the World Meteorological Organisation.