Tanzanian Meteorological Society
Purpose and Objective
- To develop, advance and disseminate the scientific knowledge and profession of Meteorology, Hydrology and other related fields in all its phases and applications in Tanzania.
- To promote the scientific and technical applications of Meteorology, Hydrology and other related fields for rapid advancement of the various socio-economic activities in Tanzania.
- To popularize education and training in Meteorology, Hydrology and other related fields in Tanzania.
- To offer professional advice to individuals, organizations and institutions on relevant Meteorological, Hydrological and related matters.
- To foster co-operation with other societies in the fields of Meteorology, Hydrology and other related fields.
- The society shall be a non-profit organization and none of its income or net worth shall inure to the benefit of its members.
Country or Region: Tanzania
Established Since: 1986
Number of Members: Currently TMS have a total of 156 members, but only 115 are considered to be active. Over the last three years a sensitization campaign for recruiting more members, especially graduate from University has been enhanced. This include through the provision of TMS Academic Excellency Award for the overall best student in BSc Meteorology at the University of Dar es Salaam. TMS members are on voluntary basis involved in promoting Meteorology and raising awareness about climate change to students by visiting various secondary schools, research and higher learning Institutions and giving lecture on Climate change and sensitizing students to actively participate in environmental conservation and in climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Society email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
President’s Email Address:email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Ladislaus B. Chang’a , Secretary
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2019, TMS implemented WISER related project activities including undertaking stakeholders survey on dissemination of weather and climate information, and raising awareness about the importance of mainstreaming weather and climate information in socio-economic development. TMS members have been involved in research and publication including paper titled “Contribution of the Global Framework For climate Services Adaptation Programme in Africa to National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) Process in Tanzania.
Other Society Information:
TMS has office provision at Tanzania Meteorological Authority
Since 2016, TMS has been issuing TMS Academic Excellence Award to Overall best student in BSc Meteorology at the University of Dar-es-Salaam.